Thursday, February 15, 2018

Is College Worth The Cost ???

The individual debt for college graduates in the United States is now above $30,000. Meanwhile, all of the world’s knowledge is nearly free because of the Internet. And we’re transitioning from a jobs economy to a skills economy. So we’re at a unique crossroads that creates a new paradigm for teenagers and their parents where college may not be a guaranteed path to a better life. But what choices do we have?

You can read the rest @
https://www.activistpost.com/2018/02/is-college-worth-the-cost.html

I attended a good university in the 1960s for around $2,000 per year, including room and board. Came out with zero debt.

Looking back, I'd have to say that 4 years of college was an exercise in learning how the Western way of doing things is "superior". I learned no real job skills, and any value I had to employers stemmed from the things I learned in high school.

I also learned no real job skills in graduate school in the 1990s. When I mentioned this to the dean at my exit interview, he told me that my employers would teach me what I needed to know.

I tend to agree with those who now say college is not worth the money. A good apprenticeship seems like it would be a better deal:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/13/trump-right-highlight-apprenticeships-instead-college/

No comments:

Post a Comment