Tuesday, November 26, 2013

23andMe

When I first read about 23andMe in "Fast Company", I thought they had a cool idea and considered buying their DNA testing service.

However, then I read about the FDA complaint:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/25/fda-this-dna-testing-company-could-kill-you/

And THEN I realized that 23andMe is run by the wife of Sergey Brin of Google.

I have read too many stories about Google's data mining of everything on the planet to EVER trust them with my DNA. My opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion, is that turning one's DNA over to anyone in return for an FDA-questionable analysis is NOT a good deal ... regardless of the price.

The indigenous peoples of the world were decimated by European "explorers" who stole their wealth under the Doctrine of Discovery. Something similar is being done by today's data miners. They are mining the planet (including places they do not own) and extracting data which then becomes their wealth. True, it's all legal, but does anyone still want to play "cowboys and Indians" when this time you have to be one of the Indians? Not me.

Forewarned is forearmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment