Friday, October 25, 2013

Letter from Senator Cornyn

I wrote to my US Senators (John Cornyn and Ted Cruz), asking them to not mess with Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Cruz (as usual) did not respond. Here's what Cornyn wrote back:

Dear Saint Howard:

Thank you for contacting me with your suggestions regarding efforts to reform Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.  I recognize the time and effort that you are dedicating to actively participate in the democratic process, and I appreciate that you and other concerned citizens have provided me the benefits of your comments on this matter.

I understand that many Americans rely upon Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, which help provide health and retirement security as well as assistance with basic necessities when they face hard times.  Congress has an obligation to make sure that these programs remain in place for those that need it the most.  Unfortunately, these programs, along with the federal budget, are in dire condition.

The biggest fiscal problem in Washington is excessive spending.  If we do not address this problem, we will strangle economic growth, destroy jobs, and reduce our standard of living.  With annual deficits of more than $1 trillion, a national debt larger than the national economy, and with more than $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities hanging over us, our toughest fiscal decisions cannot be postponed any longer.  Congress must restore America's fiscal health and reform these programs.

I am always appreciative when Texans take the time to reach out and share their concerns, and you may be certain that I will keep your concerns in mind as legislation relating to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid is considered during the 113th Congress.  Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

I would like to point out that I did not make any suggestions with regards to efforts to reform the social safety net programs, other than to say DON'T TOUCH THEM. His response appears to say "we've got to cut spending, or else". While that may be true, allow me to point out that it is not Social Security which is "strangling economic growth, destroying jobs, and reducing our standard of living". These things are being accomplished by the continuing off shoring of our economy, Congress's refusal to tax the rich, and military expenditures whose only purpose is to expand and protect the riches of a rapacious global ruling class.

Mr. Senator, in my view you and Mr. Cruz are worse than worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment